Day 1 - Fort Worth, TX to Memphis, TN:
I was out of bed this morning by 6:50am. It could have been I was anxious or because our parents packed our bed in the truck the night before and we had to sleep on the floor, I'm not sure. We got ready and finished our packing as soon as I got out of bed. We didn't have to worry about cleaning because my mom and Dianne(Travis' mom) had done it the night before while Travis and I were at my going away party hosted at Darla's house by all my close co-worker friends. We had planned on leaving Monday, but our moms convinced us to leave Sunday so we would have three days to drive.
We left Fort Worth around noon and reached Memphis around 8:30pm. Travis had to drive the rental truck. He called me several times to complain about the truck. On a side note, we had to call road side assistance the night before we left to have them change the tires on the back of the truck. They were completely bald and cracking in places. Anyway, Travis called to complain to me about the breaks being bad and the power steering going out. He and my brother were in the truck and they both said Travis could barely keep it on the road because it was pulling so badly. You would think they would give you a top notch vehicle for the price they charge.
Other than his driving difficulty and the long first day of driving, we only had one near death experience. Dianne and I were in my car in the right lane as a car was coming onto the highway. There was plenty of entrance lane left for us to get by the car before it had to merge on, but the guy wasn't paying attention and tried to merge over while we were right next to him. Dianne and I were both yelling, "GO, GO, GO!!!" at him because we could not move over at that point and Travis was behind us with bad breaks and we just knew he was about to ram into the back of us. Needless to say, we sped up and ended up running the guy off the road. I still feel bad.
Aside from that, we had a nice drive. There are many scenic areas between Fort Worth and Memphis. Lake Ray Hubbard, outside of Dallas, was very nice, and it looks like it would be a neat place to go. Those of you in the metroplex if you haven't seen it, it has condos, restaurants, shopping, and a movie theater right on the water. I wish we would have known about it before moving.
As we drove through Arkansas, we kept our eyes peeled for Bill Clinton. Other than Arkansas being his home state and the state having some cool town names like Hope and Faith, there was not much to get excited about.
Memphis was right on the Arkansas/Tennessee border. You enter Memphis by driving across the Mississippi River on a huge, beautiful bridge. The downtown sits right on the water. We didn't drive downtown, but from what we could see it was a neat, clean place. We would like to go back.
Our day ended in a suite at the fancy Comfort Inn. All six of us, plus Theta, stayed in the room...YIKES! No, it was fine. We got the room for $72 because Dianne told them that she knew they could do better(lol).
Travis, Theta, and I after the truck was loaded
The truck driving through Dallas
Entering Arkansas
Are we there yet?...NO
View of Memphis, TN from the bridge over the Mississippi River
Day 2 - Memphis, TN to Harrisonburg, VA:
Up and on the road by 7:30am. We stopped in Nashville, TN to go through the Country Music Hall of Fame. Travis and I didn't know half of the people the displays referred to, but it was neat. We tried to find the Grand Ole Opry, but drove in circles, so we gave up and started driving again. I expected more glitz and glamour from Nashville, but the part we saw was rather old.
The drive on the other hand was beautiful. The tall, thick trees lined the roadway. Our favorite part of the drive was the eastern side of Tennessee and western part of Virginia. The roads were winding, however the tree filled mountains were gorgeous. We made it to Harrisonburg around 10:30pm and all stayed in one large room again. We didn't notice it at much this night because we were all exhausted. Day 2 was long, but it made day 3 a lot easier!
Entering Nashville
Dress that Carrie Underwood wore
Travis and I in the moving truck
Glimpse of some of the landscape
Day 3 - Harrisonburg, VA to Wynnewood, PA(suburb of Philadelphia):
I slowly got out of bed this morning, but sped out of the shower when I realized I forgot to get a money order for our move-in payment. Travis got online in the lobby to look for a Chase bank along the way, but discovered there was not a single Chase bank in Virginia or Pennsylvania. The closest one to Virginia was in New Jersey. It was too early to call the bank to see what we could do, so we put that aside and got on the road anyway. My mom and I were together in my car, Travis was with his mom in the rental truck, and my brother and dad were in Travis' pickup. My mom and I decided to lead the way, but we immediately took the wrong entrance ramp and the others knew better and continued down the right road. My mom and I had to go ten miles in the opposite diretion before we could turn around. It was a nice detour though because we saw some pretty farms framed by the mountains around them, and a semi-truck hauling turkeys. That was a bit strange! Once we got back on track, I called the bank and they increased the amount of money I could withdrawal off of my debit card. I had to threaten to close my account before she finally decided to grant me permission.
Anyway, the drive was the prettiest of all three days. We never did catch the others because our GPS took us a different route, which ended up getting us to Pennsylvania about one and a half hours before the others. Just so you will have some random knowledge, instead of sadly seeing dead deer on the roadway, you see bear in this part of the country. Okay, back to day 3. When we got to PA, we took Theta to the dog park by our apartment to run around, then I went to withdrawal the money we needed from an ATM, but it did not work. I called the bank again and they fixed whatever the problem was, but I ended up having to go to different ATMs to withdraw the amount we needed. By the time I got it all, Travis and the others had arrived, so he and I met with the apartment manager to go over the lease and walk through the apartment. We started unloading immediately. We must have brought the Texas heat with us because it was insanely hot and humid. The news said later that it was a record high. Since then it has been in the 70s and 80s. Once we got everything in the apartment, we went to supper then came home to relax amongst the clutter.
Our family stayed until Saturday morning. Needless to say, it is rather difficult to organize a small apartment with six people living in it, so we organized the kitchen and office and put together some storage pieces and left the rest alone. I finally got everything put away and organized on Thursday. We definitely do not look forward to moving again!
One of the farms we saw surrounded by mountains in the background
Truck of turkey
WoooHOOO!!!!
Theta knew exactly were her toys were! She went through every room and when she found them she stood there and growled at the bag:)


No comments:
Post a Comment